Albox is a typical white-washed town with narrow streets interspersed with small plazas located in the north eastern part of Valle del Almanzora and 120 km from the provincial capital, Almería.
Due to its geographical position it has seen the passage of many cultures, vestiges of which can be seen to this day in various archaeological sites.
Albox owes its foundation and settlement to the Arabs (its name means 'tower' in Arabic) with a history widely linked to the medieval splendour of the Kingdom of Granada from the 13th century. In the midst of the Christian Reconquest, in the 15th century, Albox was taken from the Arabs by the troops of the Military Governor of the Kingdom of Murcia (Crown of Castilla),Alonso Yáñez Fajardo, and later incorporated into his title holdings as Marquess of los Vélez.
Around the year 1500 a strong earthquake hit Albox destroying a large part of the town, making it necessary to demolish the ancient castle and the damaged homes were repaired with its stone. Albox took part in the continuous and persistent Moorish uprisings that occurred in the Kingdom of Granada throughout the 15th century. It was King Felipe II who, after defeating the Moors, decreed the expulsion of the Arabs from the Comarca and the re-population of the town with Christians from Valencia and La Mancha, constituting a municipal council or town hall in 1563, under the hand of its first Mayor, Anton de Andrano. Although the Barrio Alto of San Antonio - with an irregular layout of steep streets converging on a small central square - was the original nucleus of the town of Albox, it is however in la Loma de San Francisco - named after an ancient settlement of the Franciscan Third Order - that most expansion and development took place in the 17th and 18th centuries. This is due to the connection of Albox with tragic floods and earthquakes which have plagued this area periodically.
The most momentous event for Albox occurred in 1716 when the venerated image of Nuestra Senora del Saliente came to the town and two priests from Albox founded aon Mt. Roel. From this date the history of Albox cannot be understood without the deep imprint of this devotion.
During the 19th century the town played a major role in the fight against French invaders, with records showing two bloody skirmishes in the years 1810 and 1811. This was the period of greatest economic boom in Albox, thanks to its looms and craft pottery works. Its commercial tradition has made it an economic hub between Baza (Granada) and Lorca(Murcia)
Official Seal of Albox
Flag of Albox